Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Furniture, Cars and a little Irish Luck


I may be a long way from the home base but I can still find Roodeberg and enjoy fine SA wine.

Me and my new wheels!

Last week was a very exciting week, For me I got to choose a car. Shopping for a car can be a lot of fun and you soon get the hang of the procedures as you enter a sales lot. You cannot walk ten meters on a used car lot and the sales guy emerges from behind the mirror glass, brill cream hair and making a bee line across the lot to hound any potential customer. I think by lot 15 we had the sales guys weaving between cars and walking really briskly to catch up with us and always made sure that you got him to walk the entire length of the lot. Then ask to open up the nearest car and he has to dash off to get the keys which gives you about five minutes to browse what you really want to take a look at.

after all that I found her, clean and tidy sitting on the VW lot on Colfax Avenue. I got a VW Jetta 2007, model, with a full house of extras from VW. They use the slogan tough love at VW and I should know why. I have had 5 VW’s with my last being the GTi. This Jetta is right up there with the best of VW and with all the electronic gadgets make the drive very exciting. It has on board navigation, on board computers, power jacks for normal plugs and 12 V, sun roof, full safety which includes 12 airbags ect. It is a 2.5L with plenty power and a tiptronic transmission and a sports mode. The boot is so big we can put four sets of clubs and bags into the space.

Our money finally arrived from South Africa and we went over to a store called Cost Plus World Market and ordered all our furniture for the apartment. The furniture comes part assembled and so today we collected and assembled the whole lot. It was fun and Lesleigh is over the moon. I must confess that they do have some great furniture outlets to choose from and the prices are reasonable. So the house is now home and bar another bed for the spare bedroom we have all we need for now.

Speaking of which, I had my resume (not CV) here redone into the US formatting and have shipped it off to several employers, I have even received some responses to the new resume, so there are lines in the water, lets hope for a little irish luck and maybe we get a bite or two.

Lesleigh and I have joined toast masters (public speaking not drinking) here in Greenwood village (a suburb) just down the road. We attend every wednesday morning at 07h00 to 08h00. Today Lesleigh and I had to give impromptu speeches and I think we did really well, so we are flying the flag proudly abroad.

No comments: